fbpx

Social Justice Tread-A-Thon

Current event until December 31, 2020 in Anywhere, USA

Event Description

Join the International Water Safety Foundation, Diversity In Aquatics, and Counsilman-Hunsaker for the Social Justice Tread from September through December, 2020. The Social Justice Tread encourages participants not only to participate in this tread-a-thon, but to engage and reflect upon conversations centered on the preventable public health pandemic of drowning as well as its impact on historically excluded and marginalized communities. Here is how you can be an advocate for social change:
  1. Tread water and participate from September to December in the effort. Additionally on October 14, teams and organizations will participate in a special water tread for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, in remembrance of George Floyd, and raise at least $8,460.
  2. Raise funds to support teams and organizations such as Diversity In Aquatics, which works with local grassroots organizations to bring culturally competent, historically accurate, and linguistically diverse programming, staffing, and training to black, indigenous, and people of color communities that have been historically impacted from receiving equal resources, funding, and opportunities in aquatics.
  3. Connect with community groups focused on implementing effective learning programs on racial equity and work to bring an end to systemic racism in our public facilities, our communities, and in classrooms across the country.
  4. Educate yourself on the history, issues, barriers, and challenges of those who work outside the aquatic industry for social justice and community development.
  5. Post through social media why you and your team are participating in this event.
  6. Encourage and challenge other teams and those in your network to join.
  7. Sign the petition for state governors to reopen public pools and pool services for purpose-driven aquatics that are critical to a community's public health, safety, and welfare. Without access to community pools, families and individuals look to get in the water at pools, lakes, and beaches that have little or no lifeguard or parental supervision, creating increased risk and challenges that greatly affect BIPOC communities.
The International Water Safety Foundation is a non-profit organization raising drowning awareness while bringing basic swimming, water safety, and safe rescue skills to children. Their Mission Statement is "Striving to make a planet that’s 70% water, 100% water safe!” 75% of funds raised by a Tread-A-Thon™ go to your organization while the remaining 25% of the funds are donated to the International Water Safety Foundation and Diversity In Aquatics to help in their efforts of curving drowning and increasing equality. Teams also have the option to donate 100% of the proceeds. Visit the event website to register. For more information, contact tread@drowningawareness.org or 703-718-6892. Add to Calendar
VISIT EVENT WEBSITE

Event Schedule

No schedule provided

Event Dates

Sep 1, 2020 — Dec 31, 2020

Event Venue

Your pool @

Anywhere, USA

Get Directions

Get Email Alerts

Community is a recurring event. If you would like to get updated via email when we schedule the next one, enter your email below. We do not sell or use your email for advertising. You can unsubscribe at any time.

More Events

  • Oct 2, 2020

    Webinar: Purpose-Driven Aquatics Are Essential

    View Event
  • Oct 15, 2020

    World Aquatic Health Conference 2020

    View Event
  • Feb 15, 2021 in Reno, NV

    AOAP Conference 2021

    View Event

Oct 2, 2020

Webinar: Purpose-Driven Aquatics Are Essential

View Event

Oct 15, 2020

World Aquatic Health Conference 2020

View Event

Feb 15, 2021 in Reno, NV

AOAP Conference 2021

View Event