Potassium Monopersulfate

Potassium monopersulfate is a non-chlorine acidic oxidizer made by DuPont that is used to assist the breakdown of chloramines. It is used to assist in the breakdown of chloramines. Because it is an oxidizer, it is also very successful at breaking down organisms, however, its inability to maintain any residual in the water renders it ineffective as a primary sanitizer.

Potassium monopersulfate is delivered to the pool manually.  Many pool operators don’t have the skill set to do perform this task properly.  It is difficult for them to determine the correct amount to use.

Systems that utilize the US Filters ECS and ACT systems utilize monopersulfate.

The product is shipped in 50 lb bags and is mixed with water in a bulk mixing tank.

Potassium monopersulfate is not classified as an oxidizer as per the NFPA.

Chlorine oxidizes colorless DPD (dimethyl-p-phenylene diamine) to a pink color.  This occurs most readily at a pH between 6.2 and 6.5 and the pink color developed is proportional to the chlorine present.  Other strong oxidizers (like bromine) can sometimes also react with the DPD forming the pink color and giving a false positive for chlorine.  Monopersulfate has not been observed to interfere at all when testing for free chlorine.

Chloramines, or combined chlorine, do not directly oxidize the DPD.  However, if potassium iodide (KI) is included in the reagent the chloramines convert the KI to Iodine which oxidizes the DPD in the same manner that chlorine does, and the pink color is formed.  Monopersulfate does interfere with this test.  The monopersulfate also oxidizes the KI to Iodine which reacts to form the oxidized pink DPD.  Therefore a false positive or false high reading would be obtained for total chlorine in the presence of monopersulfate.

Special reagents are available to eliminate the false reading caused by monopersulfate.

Powered by BetterDocs