Experiencing a tremendous growth in student enrollment, the Colorado School of Mines' mission is: to maintain the highest academic standards and keep pace with facility and programming needs to promote good health, wellness, personal development, and Ore Digger student-athlete challenges.
The school commissioned Counsilman-Hunsaker in association with Sink Combs Dethlefs to design a state-of-the-art natatorium for the school's new three-level 108,000 sq. ft. Student Recreation Center.
The aquatic center's main goal was designed to capture both competition and recreation programming activities.
Components of the natatorium include:
- 25-yard pool with eight lap lanes
- 1 and 3-meter springboard diving boards
- 14 person whirlpool spa in the shape of the Mines spherical tetrahedron
Other programming spaces include an elevated running track; competition gymnasium with seating for 2,500 spectators; multi-purpose gymnasium; climbing wall; fitness center; student and team locker rooms; juice bar; student lounges; multi-purpose rooms; and administrative offices.
Design Awards and Publications:
- 2009 - 'Architectural Showcase' - Athletic Business magazine
- 2009 - 'Outstanding Sports Facilities' Award - National Intramural Recreational - Sports Association (NIRSA)
- 2008 - 'Innovative Architecture & Design' Award Recreation Management magazine
- 2007 - 'Gold Hard Hat' Award - Colorado Construction magazine