In a 2004 campus referendum, Stephen F. Austin University students approved a fee to construct a recreation center. Leaders at the university subsequently built a center to house the Campus Recreation Department, aquatics, safety camps, fitness/wellness, intramural sports, and member services The resulting design takes advantage of the site's sloping terrain and sweeping views of beautiful pine trees. Counsilman-Hunsaker, in association with F&S Partners, was commissioned to design a state-of-the-art aquatic facility on the existing outdoor courtyard grounds. The stunning pool complements the brick exterior with resort-style rockscaping and tumbling water.
- 6,900 sq. ft. Outdoor Leisure Pool
- 270 ft. lazy river
- 12 ft. deep diving pool
- 485 sq. ft. 30 person spa
- Three lap lanes
Play area for water basketball and volleyball
The aquatic facility offers CPR and lifeguard certification and sponsors dive-in movies, beach-ball dodgeball, and lifeguard races.
Design Awards and Publications:
- 2009 - 'Architectural Showcase' - Athletic Business magazine
- 2009 - 'Outstanding Sports Facilities' Award - National Intramural Recreational - Sports Association (NIRSA)
- 2008 - 'Innovative Architecture & Design' Award - Recreational Management magazine
- 2008 - 'Building of America' Award - The Texas Real Estate & - Construction Review magazine