Einhorn Yaffee Prescott, in association with Counsilman-Hunsaker, was commissioned to design the state-of-the-art Takoma Community Center for the citizens of Washington, D.C. The 38,000 sq. ft. addition houses a natatorium, weight room, aerobic studio, meeting rooms, concession area, locker rooms, and other programming spaces.
The aquatic venue is the only facility in Washington, D.C. equipped and large enough to host conference swimming and diving championships.
The world-class natatorium includes:
- 50-meter by 25-yard competition pool
- Two moveable bulkheads allowing staff to configure the pools where instructional, recreational, fitness swimming, and team practice can occur simultaneously
- 700,000-gallon diving well
- Two 1-meter and one 3-meter diving boards
- Sparger at the well's bottom, which softens the landings for divers in training
- 500 spectator balcony and bleacher seats
- Separate 1,400 sq. ft. leisure pool with water spray and raindrop tumble buckets