To respond to the increasing demand for recreation programs on campus, the expansion and renovation of the existing recreation center at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa nearly doubles the square footage of the complex. The university commissioned Counsilman-Hunsaker to design the aquatic facility that would provide a social gathering place for students, faculty, and the Tuscaloosa community.
The award-winning 5,900 sq. ft. outdoor leisure pool is composed of two bodies of water to accommodate community and university use. This outdoor pool is serviced by a separate cabana building, housing locker rooms, a concession stand and a control point to allow flexible programming of this area. The pool offers summer swim lessons, and the facility can be rented to the public or students for private, social, or campus gatherings.
- 5,900 sq. ft. Outdoor Leisure Pool
- Fitness lap lanes
- Open swim area for exercise
- Current channel with “rain showers”
- Winding waterslide
- 500 sq. ft. toddler pool with fountains
- 450 sq. ft. whirlpool spa
Design Awards and Publications:
- 2006 - ‘Collegiate Citation’ Award American School & University
- 2006 - ‘Outstanding Sports Facilities’ Award National Intramural Sports Association (NIRSA)
- 2005 - ‘Innovative Architecture’ Award Recreation Management magazine
- 2006 - ‘Architectural Showcase’ Athletic Business magazine