The first phase of construction began in May 2007 and cost $16.5 million. Phase I included a gymnasium which houses two full indoor basketball courts that can be transformed into soccer courts, three volleyball courts, and badminton courts. New exercise equipment was included as well as an indoor track which wraps around the entire third floor and overlooks the gym.
Completed in August 2011, Phase II included the addition of an indoor aquatic center. A whitewater theme plays off Chattanooga’s reputation as a destination for freshwater outdoor enthusiasts.
Features of the 10,500 sq. ft. aquatic center include:
- 12 ft. wide current river with an elevated kayak plunge pool that serves as a kayak course and a lazy river
- Moveable artificial rock boulders to alter the kayak course
- 30 person bubble bench and haystack are recessed into the river’s central island
- Five lap lanes with depths ranging from 4 ft. to 10 ft.
- 30 person spa
- Two-story high, 150 ft. long waterslide
- Zero beach entry
- Water basketball and water volleyball courts
2011 - “Design In Masonry” award Masonry Association of Chattanooga