The new Wade Walker Family YMCA, operated in collaboration between DeKalb County and the YMCA, features the first indoor pool in the community. The new 60,000 sq. ft. facility features indoor and outdoor pools, as well as a suspended walking track above a gymnasium, aerobic studio, a health and wellness center, multi-purpose rooms for senior citizens, childcare and youth development centers, outdoor recreation space, and sports fields.
The indoor and outdoor aquatic centers include amenities for all ages such as:
3,500 sq. ft. Indoor Multi-Purpose Pool
- Four 25-yard fitness lap lanes with water depths ranging from 3’-6” to 5’-0”.
- Dedicated tot area with zero depth entry and water depths up to 1’-3”.
- 3’-6” deep lesson programming area complete with step entry and ADA accessible chair lift
100 sq. ft. Indoor Whirlpool Spa
2,300 sq. ft. Outdoor Leisure Pool
- Zero-depth entry with bubblers
- Mushroom fountain
- Play structure with dumping buckets and a variety of interactive play features
- Open flume waterslide
- Water spray features
- Water basketball
In keeping with its pastoral location, the facility is designed under sustainable guidelines with the objective of achieving LEED certification. Despite the presence of two pools at the facility, water usage for the building was minimized through the use of ultra-low flow plumbing fixtures, high efficiency pumps and regenerative media filters for the pool, an ultraviolet water sanitizing system, and recycling rainwater for WC flushing. Additionally, minimal irrigation is provided for the landscape, and native plants have been selected based upon their low maintenance needs.