Aquatics Blog

Alternatives to Your Local Pool

Summertime and the livin’s easy, or so it is said.  With much of the country in a heat wave, people nationwide are looking for ways to cool off.  With an estimated 10.4 million residential and 309,000 public swimming pools in the United States1, approximately 20% of the general public participates in some type of aquatic recreation2.  So what about the other 80%?


This is where old-fashioned human ingenuity comes in.  People will always look for ways to cool off, but some of these “pools” should never be tried again.  Here are some of our favorite make-shift “swimming pools” to beat the summer heat.



Another reason to own an El Camino:  Car in the front, truck POOL in the rear!

el camino


New meaning to private pool, hope he doesn’t pee in there.

trash bag


I’ve always been told not to drink around a pool, but what if your pool is the drink?  Not sure if this is the best or worst idea I’ve seen.



Recycled construction waste, but tiled and with a ladder?!?



One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  Brooklyn hipsters made a pool in a dumpster.



Ok, this may actually be viable; no pool heater, no problem.



Hard day at work … wash off in your own Backhoe Hot Tub

backhoe tub


What’s for dinner?  I smell soup … and chlorine.






  1. The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals. U.S. Swimming Pool and Hot Tub Market 2011 
  2. US Census Bureau.  Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2012. Arts, Recreation, and Travel: Participation in Selected Sports Activities 2009

Pool Covers: Helping You Prepare for Energy...

Read More

You’re Not Alone! Facing and Fixing Today’s...

Read More

Day Camps

Read More