The Brooklyn Sports Club is a 100,000 sq. ft. private fitness facility which features two pools, indoor and outdoor basketball courts, and five group exercise studios featuring a variety of strength, cycling, mind and body, and cardio classes. The facility features two indoor pools: a stretch 25-yard indoor lap swimming pool with six lanes and a 900 sq. ft. training pool used primarily for lesson programming. Counsilman-Hunsaker was engaged by Brooklyn Sports Club in 2018 when the facility was under renovation and assigned renovation and third-party oversight responsibilities, including:
• Providing engineering documents for New York City Department of Health permitting and approval;
• Oversight of the fiberglass recoating of the original steel competition pool;
• Design of a new gutter trough to interface with the existing pool, substructure, and perimeter deck;
• Waterproofing of the pools and flashing to the existing perimeter deck waterproofing, all of which is above occupied locker room spaces;
• Installation of a new timing system and new starting blocks; and
• Full design and engineering of the replacement mechanical systems for the training pool recirculation.