In 2015 Counsilman-Hunsaker and Kimley-Horn & Associates conducted an Aquatic Facilities Strategic Master Plan for the City of St. Charles. The scope of work included evaluation of the City’s existing aquatic facilities, demographic research (population, age, income, user groups), community focus groups and public forums, detailed cost estimates (capital, operational, revenue, business plan), and an implementation plan (facility types, location and phasing) to assist City officials in outlining a direction forward for the future of municipal aquatics in St. Charles.
As a result of the extensive research and study, the City decided to move forward with replacement of the aquatic facility in Blanchette Park, and to undertake a major renovation of the Wapelhorst Aquatic Center. Thanks to the citizens’ support of Proposition P in August of 2016, the result is the 2018 opening of two new state-of-the-art outdoor family aquatic centers to serve the City of St. Charles and surrounding communities.
Wapelhorst Aquatic Center:
- 5,625 sq. ft. Lazy River with three stair entries
- 4,900 sq. ft. Leisure Pool with large shaded wet deck lounge
- 3,500 sq. ft. Children’s Pool with multi-level play structure
- 1,100 sq. ft. Plunge Pool with two stair entries and two body flume waterslides
- Flagship “Boomerango” raft-ride waterslide
Blanchette Aquatic Center:
- 4,700 sq. ft. Lap Pool with eight 25-yard lap lanes and two 1-meter diving boards
- 4,000 sq. ft. Leisure Pool with two water slides, two stair entries, underwater shelf, and various spray features
- 5,000 sq. ft. Children’s Pool zero beach entry, various spray features, multi-level play structure, underwater shelf
- 1,000 sq. ft. Deep Water Pool with stair entry, dropslide and climbing wall