Evergreen Park and Recreation District (EPRD) commissioned Counsilman-Hunsaker to conduct an audit of the six lane, 25-yard swimming pool at the Wulf Recreation Center. Since the bond vote to expand the Wulf and Buchanan Pools did not pass, EPRD wanted a better understanding of the scope and construction cost to extend the life of the pool by 15-20 years.
There has not been a major renovation performed on the pool at the Wulf Recreation Center since its construction in 1973. The expected life of a commercial swimming pool like the Wulf Pool is 45-50 years. The structure of the pool was in good shape and there have not been any reports of water loss. The mechanical equipment, however, is old and obsolete and in desperate need of replacement. Without a major renovation, the pool is reaching the end of its useful life.
Counsilman-Hunsaker made the following recommendations and provided probable construction cost to complete this work to extend the life of the pool by 15-20 years.
- Replace existing gutter with new stainless-steel gutter
- Replace existing pool tile finish with combination tile and quartz aggregate finish
- Replace all inlets and existing piping
- Replace all pumps
- Replace filtration system
- Replace chemical treatment systems
- Replace heater/gas fired boiler
- Replace deck equipment