Talk about energy efficiency! A geothermal system uses neighboring Lake Andrea in Pleasant Prairie, WI, to heat the 50-meter pool and cool the air in the 305,000-square-foot municipal RecPlex. The energy-efficient equipment added about a half-million dollars in project costs, but annual energy expenses were halved.
Joe Bush provide a nice summary of energy saving strategies in this article featured in the July issue of Athletic Business. The article dives deeper into the natatorium design including:
- An HVAC system that uses exhaust heat from the air-conditioning unit to heat the pool.
- An air-to-air heat exchanger that heats 19,000 cubic feet per minute of outside air for the pool area.
- An efficient central heat pump to heat the pool area.
- A traditional water-to-air heat pump to heat support spaces.
- Triple glazing on the windows.
- Added insulation in wall panels.
- Extra roof insulation.